Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Would You Marry Your Dad?

The other day my girlfriends and I were having the conversation: Do you think you'll marry someone like your dad. I was the one with the Dad that was into spending as much time as possible with his children, he would get off a long day of work and still have enough energy to take us to the pool or to the library (letting us choose as many books as we wanted) and also making sure he made time to read those books with us. My parents (and also any other relatives they could drag along, cousins, grandparents...) came to ever possible soccer game, tennis match, or parents' night they could get their hands on. They did not just end up cheering for me but also all of my friends and my teammates. They even made it a must to attend my best friend's homecoming game where she would be crowned our homecoming queen. I am not saying that their interest in my life never embarrassed me, but I secretly always loved that they were there.
I was constantly seeing my parents generosity- they always invited my friends over for dinner, on family vacations, and took as much interest in my friends as I did.
My family takes an annual trip to Chicago, this year I wasn't able to attend because it was during my finals week. But that didn't mean that my friends weren't invited. My parents called all my friends attending school in the Chicago area to meet up with our extended family. I love that my friends (including my new college friends) are part of my family. Sometimes I have to hold myself back from bragging about how great my family is. I feel though our world is full of people who can't stand their parents or hate going home. I almost feel guilty that I have been blessed with a family that I can't seem to get enough of. So as an answer to do I want to marry someone like my father: I can only hope to meet someone as intelligent, funny, loving, generous, self-assured, faithful, and caring as my Dad.

9 comments:

  1. I must admit, you are right.. the Mech family is as good as they come! No, seriously, you guys always make me feel like an honorary Mech and I totally love it because I can’t get enough Mech family hang out time! In fact, I really, really miss it!

    P.S. - I'm loving this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janey - I missing you and my Mech fam!! I need you back in my life!

    I am also loving this blog and K-stots, you need to come back to town for the next time we do dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. D Dizzel, Katie decided to share your blog page with me and I am greatful that she did. Too often our society gets bogged down in the depressing details of life (I literally will not watch the news anymore). It was refreshing to read your blog. It's nice to read a positive outlook on life every once in a while. I am already looking forward to your next posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane- what a great blog! I always love your positive attitude! keep it coming! love- aunt eileen

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this blog - you do have a great family! i miss my mech interaction!! mech family trip to dc?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jane,
    I sure did pick a wonderful man to be my husband. Sometimes his kind, sweet, gentle, loving, inspiring, touching, humorous and inclusive ways bring tears to my eyes(what a surprise)!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, I love what you've done with the layout. Secondly, you should not feel guilty about having a great family. Just keep on spreading the love, because I'm pretty sure that everyone who knows only one of you Mechs is thankful to have a piece of such a sweet family in their life.

    -K

    ReplyDelete
  8. J Mizzle, i think that question you should ask yourself is... would your dad marry you? Sure Dad would take you to the pool and the library, but who grew tired of spending time reading the latest copy of highlites or beekeeper magazine? I believe that was you.

    nice blog,
    your bro aka "P Rizzle Mizzle, your older Broizzle"

    ReplyDelete