Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Amazing Grace

philosophy: how you climb up the mountain is just as important as how you get down the mountain. and, so it is with life, which for many of us becomes one big gigantic test followed by one big gigantic lesson. in the end, it all comes down to one word. grace. it's how you accept winning and losing, good luck and bad luck, the darkness and the light.
Okay I wish I could say I wrote that, but I stole it from my shampoo bottle. In my field, education, professors are constantly talking about our own personal philosophy. If you ask most of your past teachers what their teaching philosophy is they will probably have an answer for you. I always wonder about my own life philosophy, not just my teaching philosophy, but a philosophy that sums up the system of values by which I live. Is it even a possibility to sum up all your values, beliefs, and ideas into a few simple sentences? I think my philosophy will be a never ending sentence with constant editing. Before I will ever feel competent to finish off the sentence, "My own personal philosophy is..." I have come across the idea of love lists. My sister and her college friends made them. I loved the idea of writing out the simple joys in my life, so I have started making my own. Mine always look something like this:
Jane's Love List
starring up at the night sky
late night walks with my friends
anytime walks with my mom and mrs. dancy
doing 3 way calls with my sisters
surprises
singing in my car (with or without others)
reading the sunday new york times
being a spartan
that my brother thinks i am a good dancer
taking bubble baths
patio parties
sunday 5 o'clock mass
coffee and the today show
people who are passionate
my brother's german accent
cute little towns
otter
chick flicks
spoonfuls of my dad's honey
trips to the cabin
getting mail
a good glass of wine
wool socks
dates with my mom
interesting strangers
partner yoga

Believe me this list could go on and on. I dare you to make your own list- you may surprise yourself. What do you love and why do you love it? My love list is always getting longer and longer, but items are never edited out because even if it isn't my main joy now it made me smile once before. One day I will have some philosophical ideas and values by which I live (and when that day comes-it will be the best blog I have ever written), but for now I will live by my love list and take on my shampoo bottle's philosophy by accepting everything with grace.

13 comments:

  1. Mizzle-
    I totally fell for it and thought you wrote the intro. Very true though, coming up with a philosophy to live by is a very challenging process (and just like love lists I feel like it is ever-changing and ever-growing). Here is a mini love list for ya:
    Writing/commenting on our blogs
    Finding ways to make people smile
    Getting lost in a really good book
    Using nicknames
    Dates to Biggby or Starbucks
    Good, meaningful conversations
    Sex and the City on DVD
    Making the most of my last semester of undergrad

    love love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex's Love list:

    Jane
    Kristina
    Lucy


    That's it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh - jane i just wrote you the best "jane love list" and it got deleted!! i'll repopulate it for you later

    but just know that i LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, this is just what I needed to hear this Wednesday afternoon. I will find a way to carry the Mech grace with me at least for the rest of the day :) Lovely writing, Jane!

    I must add, I'm still interested in seeing your first book get published!

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. i didn't see any reference to me on your list.

    Guess who just got added to my "the sister I don't really like list".

    Your bro

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane you are full of the Spirit and so is your blog, it is amazing how your Christ light shines on those around you...

    Shine on Sista.

    Much love, laughter and peace, Em

    ReplyDelete
  7. J-Mizzle,

    I thought this entry was going to be about your sweet little cousin Grace.
    Wonderfully written though. I might have to switch what shampoo I'm using.

    Peace out!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  8. j mizzle my lizzle sizzle,
    Thanks for the shout out... Your off the list, let katie know that she's back on it next time you have a 3 way phone call.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. jane!
    1) i need a better shampoo which will dole out wisdom to me

    2) i love the idea of a love list - i started mine and its a lovely way to bring positivity to your day!

    3) i think you should write a book and be on Oprah - the world should benefit from your thoughts and positive nature.

    love - molly b

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yippeee! I'll let Moll-dawg know how I figured this out... :) I'm so smart on a Friday, this is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jane,

    I love your blog--you are a deep thinker!

    Love,

    Judy Treadway

    ReplyDelete
  12. jane
    here's my jane love list of recent events (and a few older ones and future ones...)

    wheat grass shots
    "sleep walking"
    being the comic relief in partner yoga
    spartans don't retire
    d-town thug party (loved your boots!)
    "i'm a d-town girl with island flava"
    bootcamp!!
    snuggie pub crawl (cannot wait!)
    tiny bubbles ..and her husband
    10-week streak (we need another one!)
    flip cup team Wink
    "ah thah beachs in sanotweeeny"
    "i feel like i can relate more to whales, bc they are mammals"

    LOVE LOVE LOVE you

    also, tell Pat it's going to be a 4-way next time

    ReplyDelete